Marin's dairy industry began here. Brothers Hugh, James,
Samuel, Alexander, and David Marshall showed up from the
East with cattle in the mid-1850s but folklore has it
that Clara Steele and a Miwok Indian got the local industry
started in 1852, when they milked a wild cow.
is still home to a couple of dairies - one of them organic-
although these days the hillsides are mostly just used
Hikers can enjoy Millerton Point, which
is about four miles north of Point Reyes Station and part
of Tomales Bay State Park. The walk out to the end along
Alan Sieroty Beach isn't long, but the point extends far
enough across Tomales Bay so as you can almost yell back
and forth with people in downtown Inverness. Atop a pole
not far from the parking is an osprey nest.
Further north is state-owned Marconi Conference
Center, sort of junior version of Asilomar in Pacific
Grove that features a gorgeous (though empty) Mediterranean-style
hotel.Guglielmo Marconi, the father of wireless radio,
built the first trans-Pacific receiving station here in
1913; the 28-room hotel was meant to house workers. RCA
took over the site in 1920, followed decades later by
the cultish drug-and-alcohol rehab group Synanon, which
thrived there in 1970s before turning violent and collapsing.
Just north of Marconi uphill of the highway,
stands a small Miwok cemetery, the spare white crosses
sometimes draped in flowers.
has a boat launch, at county owned Miller Park about three
miles north of "downtown." North past that is
a string of dilapidated waterfront cabins, formerly a
Bohemian establishment known as Jensen's Oyster Co. but
now a ghost village owned by the National Park Service.
Nearby is the marshy delta of Walker Creek, which at sunset
looks webbed with quicksilver. The birds posing like alabaster
bottles are egrets.